Wednesday 9 November 2011

28 things ive learned this year

In no particular order...

1. I am shocked by how much I LOVE reading my kindle. There are things I miss, like flipping through pages when I'm in search of something, but I still really enjoy the reading experience. And I love how I can go from thinking, "I want to read that book," to actually reading this book within about 2 minutes.

2.I love blogging... even though i don't do it much. I still have the dream to write a book someday

3. That being out of high school for 10 years doesn't feel as long as you might imagine. When I graduated back in 2001, 10 years sounded like plenty of time to turn into the fabulous adult I was hoping to be. And I thought i would have the american dream by now - husband, babies, a successful career (and now i realize i dont want the american dream!) - I still have lots of days where I feel like I'm just pretending to be an adult. Maybe by the time my 20 year reunion rolls around, the whole adult thing will feel more normal.

4. When you make coffee in a French press, you're supposed to mix it up with that plunger thingy before you let it brew. I've been making it wrong for years.

5.  I learned people used to brush their teeth with boar-bristled toothbrushes. Um, disgusting. "Nothing like cleaning your teeth the hair from the back of a pig's neck!"

6. I really become obsessed with books. I have read 73 books so far this year (on the previously mentioned kindle). I read all of Karen Kingsbury books, some Jane Austin, some Ravi Zacharias, random novels, Timothy Keller etc etc. 

7. I have a tendency to avoid conflict. I'm learning that's not about wanting to keep the peace, but rather it's a self-esteem issue for me. Will people still like me if I disagree with them? If I tell them I'm mad, will they still think I'm a nice person? Sigh. Lots of work left to be done on this girl...

8. Learning a new language is hard! I have had lots of "AH HA" moments!

9. I am a very texture oriented eater. I have eaten some things here in Mexico that i just can't choke down!

10. True friendship continues to grow, even over a long distance. And the people who truly care will keep in touch.

11. motel mattresses are better on the side away from the phone... no one thinks about that!

12. You will never find someone who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.

13. I can crack an egg with just one hand, which was born out of necessity when i was babysitting a kid and he was  on my hip while i was baking.

14. I watched the Ken Burns documentary on baseball, so I have absorbed a crazy amount of baseball knowledge in the last year. Like that whole thing about Babe Ruth calling his shot is a huge controversy. And that the Kansas City Monarchs dominated the negro leagues. And that there's no official creator of baseball, that it evolved from a couple different games.

15.Fear of failure is a ticket to mediocrity. If you’re not failing from time to time, you’re not pushing yourself. And if you’re not pushing yourself, you’re coasting

16.Explore the world on your own. Don't always believe how the media portrays places. 

17.I don't NEED or really WANT things. I had a pretty good concept of this before, but now, i actually feel that less is better!

18. Running is something you can learn to enjoy. Even though i am not good at it, or do it enough... i enjoy getting out and running a mile or two a few times a week. If you would have told me a year ago i would like running, i would have laughed!

19. Have fun, and don't sweat the small stuff. Life's too short to fill it with silly worries.

20.That I am too Independent. I never thought saying I was independent was anything but a amazing attribute to have. 

21. God really is BIG Yes, i have know this BUT not to the extent that I do now! The process of support raising, moving to a different country, and leaving everything that was normal has made me dependent on God in ways i have never had to. 

22.Pacifier is not a universal phrase.  My favorites are a "dummy" which is in Australia or a "suck" which is in Denmark.

23. I finally picked up Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell. It's been out for a few years, but for some reason I never read it. There's great stuff in there. I wish I had read it years ago.

24.  People from the US, generally speaking, have no idea what a community is. And once i saw what true community is, i don't want to live without it.

25. One tea light candle can go a long way. I have spent a couple evenings under the light of one tea light; reading, doodling , writing etc. 

26. Satan is a pro at whispering in your ear. If there’s an opportunity for him to interject a discouraging thought, he’s all over it.  

27.Being content with slowing down and not being so time minded. Yes, i am a person who in the states NEVER slowed down, was NEVER late, and NEVER thought i was doing enough. But, i am learning to really enjoy people and things it is better to take a breath, relax and not worry about the clock.

28. Living in a different culture always has its suprises. Some of them are great and some of them are hard to grasp... but you learn to live with them and love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment