Tuesday 6 December 2011

(28/30) What I want to be when i grow up

When I was in kindergarten, I remember the teacher going around the room and asking each of us what we wanted to be when we grew up. She'd write our names next to what we said and then one lucky kid got to take the poster home at the end of the day. 

Most of the kids said they wanted to be teachers, doctors, baseball players, ballerinas, and so on. When he was asked, the little boy sitting next to me smiled cherubically and said, "I want to be a dentist." (Yes, like that elf in the Rudolph movie.) Everyone oooed and ahhhed. And then the teacher smiled over at me. 

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" she asked, marker poised to write down my answer. Everyone stared at me, ready to hear my exciting revelation. What, exactly, was it that I wanted to do for the rest of my life? 

And I choked. 

"Well, I guess I want to be a dentist, too. Maybe," I whispered. 

She nodded and wrote it down. And I stared at the floor. I knew I didn't want to be a dentist. I wasn't sure what I did want to do when I was five years old, but I did know I wasn't going to be enrolling in the dental academy. 

I went through stages where I wanted to be a science teacher, a forensic pathologist, an undercover cop, a K-9 cop, , a trauma psychologist, a vet, a marine biologist, and a special ed teacher. However, if you'll notice, many of those require more than one math class once you get to college. Thus, I became an Recreation major. :-) 


Actually, even in high school I knew that i wanted to work in camps and non profit businesses, but had no idea how. It seemed like an unattainable dream, so i kept pursuing the list above!


And i did, i worked at a camp doing the programming for that camp. I LOVED it! It was my dream job. 


But, if you would have asked me three years ago what i would be doing... i would have never guessed that I would be living in Mexico as a Missionary.  And loving it... and thanking God every day that i am here.. experiencing what i am experiencing!

No comments:

Post a Comment