Saturday 22 February 2014

The first few moments.

The other day we picked up Jessica from the airport. She is going to be with us for a year. It is exciting to see God bringing people to our little corner of the world.

Mayra and I were talking about what it is like to come here for a more than a little mission trip, but to live here.

I remember, although a lot of the first couple weeks are a complete blur to me, my feelings that day. Some friends took me to the airport. There were tears... although none of us cried until we parted ways. Knowing it would be at least a year before we saw each other face to face.

I had sent my dog the day before (which is nerve racking enough), so, I was always constantly worried about her and how she was doing. And after I had my bags checked and was at my gate I remember "well, no turning back now".

And then I got to Mexico City. I found my luggage and not my dog. Yep, i didn't even know enough Spanish to find my poor dog. And I ended up waiting what seemed like days for someone to pick me up. That is when I began to worry. What the heck was i doing? This is really what God wants me to do? I will never make it here. I can just buy a plane ticket and return to my home, my normal. I can just visit right?

Well I am happy to report... I survived the first couple days. I did more than that, I decided to stay here a long time! =0) It wasn't always easy. I remember almost being in tears the first time I watched a movie in Spanish because I understood nothing. I missed the people at home. I missed the convince of stuff in the states. But, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. God has changed me, used me, and continues to challenge me. I hope I have made as much of an impact here as this place has made on me (although i doubt it).

I hope Jessica can say she has had an equally impactful time after her year!

By the way, we have broke her into the crazy mexican way of getting things done here yesterday. =0)

No comments:

Post a Comment